1.12 calculate the relative atomic mass of an element from the relative abundances of its isotopes

Isotopes differ in mass because of the addition/removal of neutrons 

Formula: (% of isotopes x Ar) + (% of isotopes x Ar) ) / 100

eg. Chlorine 

Q ) 75% of all chlorine has a mass of 35. The rest of chlorine atoms (25%) have an atomic mass of 37. Calculate the relative atomic mass. 

( (75 x 35) + (25 x 37) ) / 100 = 35.5 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s