- Ripple tank – device used to study the behaviour of waves. Waves can either be reflected, refracted or diffracted
- Reflected waves – shown by the placement of a barrier which will reflect the waves back to the source of motion
- Refracted waves – shown by a change in depth and changes the speed of the wave
- Diffracted waves – the bending of the waves as they pass an obstacle.
- Process of diffraction –
- Edges of the wave ‘bend’ to get through the gap
- This causes the waves to spread out, allowing the waves to travel around the corners
- The amount of diffraction is dependant on the size of the gap and the wavelength of the wave